When you shock your pool you use the process of oxidation to chemically remove (burn up)
organic debris, such as body waste, particulate matter and perspiration, from the water. All
pools require a shock treatment on a regular basis to maintain optimum water quality.
Routinely shocking the water every 1 to 2 weeks (monthly with Revacil program) will greatly
increase the water quality of your pool.
In addition to oxidizing undesired wastes – shocking
will help rid the pool of algae and bacteria that might be hiding in filters and hard-to-sanitize
Contrary to what most people think, a strong chlorine smell is not an indication of too much
chlorine in the pool but actually a red flag that a super dose may be required to correct the
problem. In chlorine treated pools shocking can be achieved by superchlorination (adding a
much higher chlorine amount than normal). Hypochlorous acid is the form of chlorine that
provides sanitization.
Hypochlorous acid is very active and will react with ammonia and other
nitrogen-containing organic compounds (i.e., perspiration, urine, etc.) and form chloramines.
This “combined chlorine” is 40 to 60 times less effective than free available chlorine.
Combined chlorine, in addition to reduced effectiveness against bacteria can cause eye
irritation and so called “chlorine odor.” This may also result in a dull or flat look to your pool. A
properly balanced and chlorinated pool will have no discernible odor.
Every 2 Weeks:
When the temperatures are 80
F or below
When the temperatures are above 80
Heavy bather load (after the pool party!)
As Needed:
At the first signs of visible algae (slippery walls or floor)
Cloudy water (check water balance as well)
Heavy rains or storms (increase organic debris in water)
Biguanides require
weekly to
monthly biguanide shock treatment using
specific shock in your brand program only, NOT chlorine or non-chlorine.
The sanitizer program you use to treat your pool will determine the type of shock you can use.
Not all shocks are compatible with all sanitizers, so be sure to follow the recommended shock
treatment for your treatment program, see
Sanitizing your pool
for your brand.
The chemicals used for shock treatments are powerful oxidizers.
read and follow the recommendations in the
Chemical Safety-oxidizers
It is most effective to shock in the evening as chlorine shock dissipates very rapidly in
If you are using a chlorine shock treatment you will have a very high chlorine
reading (10 ppm or higher). You must allow the Free Chlorine level to drop back down
to the safe range of 3 ppm or lower before re-entering the pool. This can take up to 24
hours, so plan according when superchlorinating or use a non-chlorine shock (mono-
persulfate) if the pool will be in use sooner.
Non-chlorine shocks and biguanide shock
allow you to re-enter the pool within 15 to 30 minutes after treatment.